Blogs

Unit completed in TESTING mode

Adrian and I finished the second unit for the Casa Mesa BAYBEE Apiary. It will be the second unit installed in my apiary on the west side of Napa. I will be working the hives and doing the second to last inspection of the year and will be removing unused frames and excesses honey next Sunday. August 7th. I will at that time install the scale and internal sensor. The unit will go online from testing at that point.
Following that I will download the new image.

The Big Picture: Time to Start Over

We are entering our sixth year of data collection. Originally, there was no plan - everything you see just happened. It's time to take a step back and look at the big picture. Using what we've learned from the last five years, it is time to do a complete redesign focusing on self administration, user features, scalability, analytical tools and data warehousing.

The goal is still to provide an affordable, easy to use, reliable and accurate data collection systems to

Nates Blog

Nate's Blog on the adventure to build my first HiveTool

Windows VPN interface

As a non programmer I am thrilled to have a fast graphical user interface (xrdp) to the Pi Hive monitor. This makes access to the Pi easier and much faster than the GUI alternative which was Xming + Putty. Great news it will be in a forthcoming Pi software image.

Windows Remote Desktop, 62541, New Hive Interface boards, I2S audio input

MicroSoft users take note:
Thanks Nate for pointing out xrdp that allows access to the Pi with Windows Remote Desktop. We plan to include xrdp in the next image. It is easily installed: sudo apt-get install xrdp Nate also suggested we include open62541, a OPC UA stack. Anyone else interested in working with this?

Unscheduled outage - server upgrade

I knew it would happen, just didn't know when. We have been using an inexpensive hosting service running on a shared server. Yesterday morning at 4 am (while I was trying to upload pictures of how to assemble the interface board), I started getting:

This site is temporarily unavailable

If you manage this site and have a question about why, please contact Netfirms directly.

New Boards. New Image.

Thanks to Emil for taking the lead with fixing noisy sensors and to Mark for testing the code. After a week or two of troubleshooting and testing, The HX711 and DHT22 are recording better. We have learned a bit about the DHT22. It has it's own page.

As a result, a new image 0.7.3 will be available with the code fixes.

4/22/2015

We did a quick hive inspection today. On 4/11/2015 we installed new 2 lb Italian bee packages. Checked for queen acceptance and to see what was causing the recent weight gains. Didn't find anything conclusive. Queen was accepted and eggs, larvae, and capped brood are present. Did not spot the queen but didn't spend too much time in the hive due to windy, chilly weather. There is nectar in pollen in at least 3 of the frames. Brood in two frames.

York Hive - Winter Blog

Over the winter the hive was maintained the weight. In the later part of January, there we had a raspberry pi failure. We determined that the the raspberry pi card lost internet connection. It was replaced and working good to date.

Subscribe to RSS - blogs